Re: Performance with the new security release?

От Steve Singer
Тема Re: Performance with the new security release?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 13-04-23 10:04 AM, Anne Rosset wrote:
> Thanks Steve.
> I found this: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release-9-2-3.html
> "
> Fix performance problems with autovacuum truncation in busy workloads (Jan Wieck)
> Truncation of empty pages at the end of a table requires exclusive lock, but autovacuum was coded to fail (and
releasethe table lock) when there are conflicting lock requests. Under load, it is easily possible that truncation
wouldnever occur, resulting in table bloat. Fix by performing a partial truncation, releasing the lock, then attempting
tore-acquire the lock and continue. This fix also greatly reduces the average time before autovacuum releases the lock
aftera conflicting request arrives."

> So that is not the fix?
No, that is the change that caused this problem.   That fix addresses a
slightly different set of symptoms where the truncate as part of an
auto-vacuum doesn't happen because the lock gets pre-empted.  An
unintended/undesirable consequence of that fix was that it means if
vacuum can't do the truncate stage because it can't obtain the lock in
the first place then statistics don't get updated.

> (Sorry to ask a second time but I really need to make sure).
> Thanks,
> Anne

statisticsthen that should help.

>> A manual vacuum will , unfortunately, behave like the auto-vacuum. The only way to get vacuum past this (until this
issueis fixed) is for

>> vacuum to be able to get that exclusive lock.   If there are times of
>> the day your database is less busy you might have some luck turning off auto-vacuum on these tables  and doing
manualvacuums during those times.

versions). Also which version were you running before?

issuesin some cases (ie if statistics are no longer being updated because analyze can't get the

От: Christopher Manning
Сообщение: Proposal to add --single-row to psql
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Performance with the new security release?