Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.

От Sushil Shirodkar
Тема Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I have put some small script which runs in a loop with "free -h" command,

while I am running "vacuumdb".  Once I clear by "sync" or bounce PG,

everything runs normal afterward.

From: Don Seiler <don@seiler.us>
Sent: Thursday, April 26, 2018 11:33 AM
To: Sushil Shirodkar
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: vacuumdb causes memory drain.

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Sushil Shirodkar <sushilps@hotmail.com> wrote:

Running "vacuumdb -a -z -v" from the cron on one of our test environment, and
noticed that memory of the server goes down from 3.4GB free to 150MB.  Once
the process is over, memory is not released, is it normal or something needs to be
changed ? also other processes start running slow afterwards due to low memory.

How are you measuring free memory? Memory might be listed in cached/buffers instead of free but is still available. Although that wouldn't then explain other processes being slow.

--
Don Seiler
www.seiler.us