initdb locale discrepancy

От Subbiah Stalin-XCGF84
Тема initdb locale discrepancy
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi All,

The following is the message we had got while setting up postgres database. This message was overlooked when we setup but now we have found the discrepancies. For now the database are created with encode type as UTF8 but the locale settings are ISO8859-1 in postgresql.conf. The question i have is, what will be impact if we don't use any multibyte characters in the mix. Will there be any performance impact in processing the queries etc.

Message while init DB:
"The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
  COLLATE:  en_US.ISO8859-1
  CTYPE:    en_US.ISO8859-1
  MESSAGES: C
  MONETARY: en_US.ISO8859-1
  NUMERIC:  en_US.ISO8859-1
  TIME:     C
initdb: warning: encoding mismatch
The encoding you selected (UTF8) and the encoding that the selected
locale uses (ISO8859-1) are not known to match.  This may lead to
misbehavior in various character string processing functions.  To fix
this situation, rerun initdb and either do not specify an encoding
explicitly, or choose a matching combination."

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Stalin
Env: Solaris 10, PG 8.2.7