Re: Unexplained growth of tables

От Benjamin Krajmalnik
Тема Re: Unexplained growth of tables
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thaks to all who helped on this one, for I was going insane.

I am now auto_vacuuming every 30 seconds, and have cheanged the
para,eters so the vacuuming takes place much more aggressively.
Performance has increased and table size appears to have been addressed.

For the newbies like myself who may make the same mistake .....

I assumed that auto_vacuum was going to adversely affect perfromance if
it ran often, so I extended the time between atovacuum cycles.
BIG MISTAKE!
I assume in many applicatios the net effet may not be huge, but in our
application where currently we have more than 10 million insert/update
transactions per day, it definitaly made a difference.
I pulled my hair long on this one until the light bulb came on and I
figured out it must be related to MVCC and the vast amount of change to
the database at any given time.

Once again, thanks to all of you who were kind enough to point me in the
right direction.