Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message

От Bossart, Nathan
Тема Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message
Дата
Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message  (Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/3/22, 5:52 PM, "Kyotaro Horiguchi" <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me "LSN" or just "location" is more confusing or
> mysterious than "REDO LSN" for the average user. If we want to avoid
> being technically too detailed, we would use just "start LSN=%X/%X,
> end LSN=%X/%X".  And it is equivalent to "WAL range=[%X/%X, %X/%X]"..

My first instinct was that this should stay aligned with
pg_controldata, but that would mean using "location=%X/%X, REDO
location=%X/%X," which doesn't seem terribly descriptive.  IIUC the
"checkpoint location" is the LSN of the WAL record for the checkpoint,
and the "checkpoint's REDO location" is the LSN where checkpoint
creation began (i.e., what you must retain for crash recovery).  My
vote is for "start=%X/%X, end=%X/%X."

Nathan