Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: Add checkpoint and redo LSN to LogCheckpointEnd log message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 20 Jan 2022 00:36:32 +0000, "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote in
> On 1/3/22, 5:52 PM, "Kyotaro Horiguchi" <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It seems to me "LSN" or just "location" is more confusing or
> > mysterious than "REDO LSN" for the average user. If we want to avoid
> > being technically too detailed, we would use just "start LSN=%X/%X,
> > end LSN=%X/%X".  And it is equivalent to "WAL range=[%X/%X, %X/%X]"..
>
> My first instinct was that this should stay aligned with
> pg_controldata, but that would mean using "location=%X/%X, REDO
> location=%X/%X," which doesn't seem terribly descriptive.  IIUC the
> "checkpoint location" is the LSN of the WAL record for the checkpoint,
> and the "checkpoint's REDO location" is the LSN where checkpoint
> creation began (i.e., what you must retain for crash recovery).  My
> vote is for "start=%X/%X, end=%X/%X."

+1. Works for me.  %X/%X itself expresses it is an LSN.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Document atthasmissing default optimization avoids verification table scan