Re: fine tuned database dump/reload?

От Scott Marlowe
Тема Re: fine tuned database dump/reload?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org on behalf of Vivek Khera
Sent: Mon 10/17/2005 3:35 PM
To: Postgres General
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] fine tuned database dump/reload?

On Oct 17, 2005, at 9:34 AM, Dan Armbrust wrote:

> > Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > pg_dump handles table ordering properly.
> > >

> > Maybe I missed something then, because it didn't last time I tried
> > to move some data.  I had to drop my foreign keys before I could
> > reload it.

> This is my experience as well.  pg_dump doesn't work in the presence
> of FK's always.

Ive had few problems, and every one has been fixed by a newer version of pg_dump.  I would imagine a mode that dumps for an older version would be useful, so that if you found something in 7.4 that didn't dump with 7.4's pg_dump, but can be dumped with 8.0, it wouldn't use any 8.0isms in it's dump.  Or does that already happen automagically?  I can't tell from the docs that it does.

I have seen people show up with issues with dumps and seen them fixed fairly quick, either with a work around via pg_restore, or a patch.

What problems have you run into lately?  And could pg_restore fix them, or were they too hairy?