Re: basic question (shared buffers vs. effective cache size)

От Sally Sally
Тема Re: basic question (shared buffers vs. effective cache size)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks much Scott, makes sense now.

You said

"Now, effective_cache_size sets nothing other than itself.  I.e. it
allocates nothing in memory.  It is pretty much a big course setting knob
that tells the planner about how much memory the kernel is using to cache
its data"

So how can you know how much memory the kernel is actually using to cache
(Solaris)? and specifically is it something you can set/change and also
watch as it is happening with some command like top (Linux shows how much is
cached but I don't see that in Solaris).
Thanks
Sally