basic question (shared buffers vs. effective cache size)

От Sally Sally
Тема basic question (shared buffers vs. effective cache size)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a very basic question on the two parameters shared buffers and
effective cache size. I have read articles on what each is about etc. But I
still think I don't quite grasp what these settings mean (especially in
relation to each other). Since these two settings seem crucial for
performance can somebody explain to me the relationship/difference between
these two settings and how they deal with shared memory.
Thanks much
Sally