Re: large database versus many databases

От Adrian Engelbrecht
Тема Re: large database versus many databases
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
resourcesbefore scarce, ie: to other servers or expanded disk. The down side is there will be many to be maintained,
120480893<p><a
href="https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=N6T2FQ7WRPHH4">https://www.paypal.com/refer/pal=N6T2FQ7WRPHH4</a></div>From:
Sabio- PSQL <slopez_pg@ceroriesgo.co.cr> To: PostgreSQL Admin <pgsql-admin@postgresql.org> Subject: Re:
[ADMIN]large database versus many databases Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 10:16:45 -0600 Uwe Maiwald wrote: >Hi, >
>weare currently planning a very large installation of a >web-application using PostgreSQL. The application can
beconfigured >to handle 1 database per customer, or all customers in one large >database. > >We plan to
startwith e.g. 500 customers, each of which can have 200 >MB or more in the database. And we want the system to be
expandable>as needed (thousands of customers, using lots of memory). > >Has anyone any experience what is best
>-using one very large database for all customers or >- using 1 database per customer > >concerning
expandability,performance, server configuration, system >updates etc. > >Is it advisable not to install more
thana certain amount of >databases on one server? > >Any hints welcome, > >Thanks, Uwe > >
>---------------------------(endof >broadcast)--------------------------- >TIP 6: Have you searched our list
archives?> > http://archives.postgresql.org > > I am currently developing a system like this and we are
usingone database per customer. You only have to consider one thing. If you have only one database for all customer and
databasehave a problem all customer can't work. If you have many databases as customers if a database fails only one
customercan't work, and it's easier to solve for one that for all. ---------------------------(end of
broadcast)---------------------------TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate