Re: how to add a new data partition

От Karthikeyan Sundaram
Тема Re: how to add a new data partition
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Philip,

   Thanks for the reply.  Our DB grows very fast.  Hence I don't want to
move the exisisting data dir.  If I move my data file to the new partition,
I will face the same issue in another month instead of week.

    My requirement is to keep the old data directory along with the new
partition.

   In Oracle, we can tell the alter database add data file '/new partition'
so the the new partition will take into effect along with the old one.

   Is there a similar way in postgres?

Regards
skarthi

>From: "Phillip Smith" <phillip.smith@weatherbeeta.com.au>
>To: "'Karthikeyan Sundaram'"
><skarthi98@hotmail.com>,<pgsql-admin@postgresql.org>
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] how to add a new data partition
>Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 08:52:06 +1100
>
>One option if you can have the DB offline for a little while:
>
>1) Shutdown Postgres
>2) Move your current data directory to the new partition
>3) Update your PGDATA variable, and any scripts that reference it to
>reflect
>the new data path. You might also like to symlink the old data dir to the
>new one.
>4) Restart Postgres. pg_ctl -D /new/path/to/data start
>
>That's worked for me several time before.
>
>Cheers,
>-p

Valentine�s Day -- Shop for gifts that spell L-O-V-E at MSN Shopping

Сообщение: Re: how to add a new data partition
Сообщение: Re: how to add a new data partition