Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?

От henk de wit
Тема Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> The only way I can see for that to be so slow is if you have a very
> large number of rows where payment_id is null --- is that the case?

The number of rows where payment_id is null is indeed large. They increase every day to about 1 million at the end of the so-called "payment period" (so currently, about 1/100th of the table has nulls).

> In 8.3 it'll be possible to declare the index as NULLS FIRST, which
> moves the performance problem from the max end to the min end ...

Sounds interesting. I also noticed 8.3 is able to use an index for "is null". Luckily you've just released the beta release of 8.3. I'm going to setup a test system for 8.3 real soon then to try what difference it would make for my particular dataset.

> Creating indexes at random with no thought about how the system could
> use them is not a recipe for speeding up your queries. What you'd need
> to make this query fast is a double-column index on (payment_id, time)
> so that a forward scan on the items with payment_id = 67 would
> immediately find the minimum time entry. Neither of the single-column
> indexes offers any way to find the desired entry without scanning over
> lots of unrelated entries.

I see, that sounds very interesting too. As you might have noticed, I'm not an expert on this field but I'm trying to learn. I was under the impression that the last few incarnations of postgresql automatically combined single column indexes for cases where a multi-column index would be needed in earlier releases. But apparently this isn't true for every case and I still have a lot to learn about PG.

Regards

Сообщение: Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?
Сообщение: Re: How to speed up min/max(id) in 50M rows table?