Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...

От Greg Patnude
Тема Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...
Дата
Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:smarlowe@g2switchworks.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 11:40 AM
To: Greg Patnude
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...

On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 13:29, Greg Patnude wrote:
> "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com> wrote in message
> > On Tue, 2005-07-12 at 13:04, Greg Patnude wrote:
> >> LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (19 seconds apart)
> >> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
> >> "checkpoint_segments".
> >> LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
> >> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
> >> "checkpoint_segments".
> >> LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
> >> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
> >> "checkpoint_segments".
> >> LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (11 seconds apart)
> >> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
> >> "checkpoint_segments".
> >> LOG:  checkpoints are occurring too frequently (12 seconds apart)
> >> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter
> >> "checkpoint_segments".
> >>
> >> What does this mean and what causes it ???
> >
> > Lots of updates or inserts.
> >
> > What are you doing with your database?  Are you running some application
> > that is doing a lot of small inserts maybe?

> Sort of...  I have a stored procedure that gets called and updates either
50
> or 75 records in a table. The parent table has an inherited table
(history)
> derived from it with an update rule on the parent table that inserts a
copy
> of the unchanged record (prior to the update) into the history table. So
--
> for every 50 updates -- I expect to see 50 inserts into the child.

So, how often is this running?  Once a second, once a minute, once and
hour?  If it's only running once an hour, then something else is wrong.
[GP->]
I've been running it about 2 or 3 times a minute on average... I increased
the " checkpoint_segments" param in postgreSQL.conf from the "factory
default' of 1 to 5... this seems to clear up most of the noise....

Greg Patnude