Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Greg Patnude" <gpatnude@hotmail.com> writes:
> From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:smarlowe@g2switchworks.com]
>> So, how often is this running?  Once a second, once a minute, once and
>> hour?  If it's only running once an hour, then something else is wrong.

> I've been running it about 2 or 3 times a minute on average... I increased
> the " checkpoint_segments" param in postgreSQL.conf from the "factory
> default' of 1 to 5... this seems to clear up most of the noise....

The "factory default" has never been 1; AFAIR it's always been 3,
and like many of the other defaults that's aimed for small-and-slow
machines.  If you're not short of disk space, something like 30
is reasonable.  (Note this can cost you 32MB per increment, so a
setting of 30 means you're willing to invest up to a gigabyte of
disk space in WAL.  Time was when that was an astonishing amount
of disk, but no more...)