Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY

От Simon Riggs
Тема Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of mar may 24 17:06:07 -0400 2011:
>> On 05/24/2011 04:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>> > Incidentally, this is one of the things that Jim Nasby wanted exposed
>> > somehow so that these problems are more easily diagnosed.  I dropped the
>> > ball on that one, but I'll be picking it up again at some point.
>>
>> I don't remember seeing anything about that before, but then again I
>> wasn't really looking for it until now.  Did you have a basic idea what
>> you wanted to do there?  I have enough of this work queued up now that I
>> may end up poking at the code myself here soon.
>
> Please see this thread:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/1290465663-sup-9908@alvh.no-ip.org
>
>> The first thing I was considering was dropping some DEBUG2 level logging
>> about the various phases of the reindex into there.
>
> That would take this system more or less to where autovacuum was in 8.1
> (well, not quite that bad because you can change it locally, but still).
> It seems to me we can do something a bit better than that.

It would be fairly straightforward to add some text to the end of the
ps message for long running DDL commands to say "phase 2" etc..
Or pg_stat_activity query text.

That way we would have some visibility into the progress of long
running DDL without too much effort.

Сообщение: Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY
Сообщение: Re: Improve warnings around CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY