Re: GSoC 2011 Eager MV implementation proposal

От AAMIR KHAN
Тема Re: GSoC 2011 Eager MV implementation proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
As you people think and may be possible that complete implementation of Eager MVs cannot be completed in summer. So maybe i can pick up the work left to be done in snapshot MVs. I have cloned the repository of pavel baros from https://github.com/pbaros/postgres.git and i will be looking to find whats left out.

Could anybody help me in figuring out what is left to be done in snapshot MVs implementation?

There are a number of hard problems in getting a working implementation of materialized views that all get ignored by all of the student proposals we get, and what you're talking about doesn't address any of them.

As soon as i know the shortcomings of snapshot MVs implementation and once go through the code committed during GSoC, I will revert back with the issues and how would i be tackling them.

You really should read all of the messages in the following threads:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-04/msg00479.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-06/msg00743.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-07/msg00396.php

And the following summaries:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Materialized_Views_GSoC_2010
http://rhaas.blogspot.com/2010/04/materialized-views-in-postgresql.html

And then say how what you're suggesting fits into the issues raised last summer.  The theory and way to implement eager MVs are interesting problems.  But working on them won't lead toward code that can be committed to PostgreSQL this year.