Re: Windows build issues

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Windows build issues
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 22:36, Brar Piening <brar@gmx.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 08:51:57 -0400, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>
> wrote:
>>>
>>> that's in the SDK? If not, I still think that should be our primary
>>> option - I certainly don't see how it's obsolete. (and you can,
>>> afaics, still get the platform sdk with the correct version of the
>>> compiler (non-vs2010), but I haven't tested it)
>>>
>>> Or did I miss something in this thread?
>>>
>> Have we shown for sure that you can't build it with the compiler
>>

>> I haven't actually tried using the SDK alone. I'll try testing that on a
>> cloud appliance when I get a chance, as I'm out of Windows boxes I can
>> reasonable perturb. I do know you *need* the SDK for 64 bit builds with VSE
>> 2008, as it doesn't include a 64 bit compiler.
>
> I've just built current git HEAD on a clean Windows XP virtual machine with
> only "Microsoft Windows SDK for Windows 7 and .NET Framework 3.5 SP 1" (the
> latest pre VS 2010 SDK) on it.
>
> It builds without problems (a few warnings) and passes vcregress check.
>
> VS or VS EXPRESS is probably not needed to build Postgres with any recent
> Windows SDK  that includes compilers (>= 6.0).

So per your experience, all we really need to do is to define what the
*max* level of the Windows SDK we can use is, to make sure people
don't get the VS2010 compiler instead?

(And adding the note that VS2010 isn't supported with or without the
platform sdk)

> This Wikipedia article might shed some more light on the MS SDK chaos:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_SDK

Yeah, unfortunately it doesn't list which version of the compilers are
included...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/