Re: Proposal - asynchronous functions

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Proposal - asynchronous functions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 9:24 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 10:02 AM, David Fetter <david@fetter.org> wrote:

>>> I am looking for specifically server support and not client support.
>>> Part of the proposal is that if the client goes away, it will still
>>> continue to finish.
>>
>> This is exactly autonomous transactions.  Please read this thread to
>> see how.
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-01/msg00893.php
>
> It's not the same thing at all.  An autonomous function is (or appears
> to be) two simultaneous toplevel transactions within the same backend.
>  This is a request for an *asynchronous* function, which would run
> concurrently with foreground processing.

It's not exactly the same, but in the greater spirit of things I think
David is correct.  If you make async dblink call, you get parallel
processing from a single function entry point.   Autonomous
transaction implementations I've heard are basically taking this
approach and de-kludging it, and give you a lot of the same stuff,
like being able to do work in parallel.  I'm curious if the feature
meets the OP's requirements.

merlin