Re: pg_start_backup - backups

От Ian Lea
Тема Re: pg_start_backup - backups
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Attempting to run a backup with the database online. I first issue
> 'PG_START_BACKUP', then copy the contents of the postgresql data folder,
> then issue 'PG_STOP_BACKUP'. The database service remains running during the
> copy. If queries continue to hit the database after the PG_START_BACKUP
> command is issued changes to the data folder are possible, which can cause
> copy errors (for instance, a file not found exception). The file copy method
> first creates a string array of the data folder contents (all folders and
> files) and then processes the array, copying one file at a time. What am I
> doing wrong?

You need to use a program to do the copying that can accept changes to
files as it runs.  rsync is a common choice and has the massive
advantage that it only takes changes and is therefore, after the first
run, quick.

See http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP
or use your favourite search engine to find more info.

--
Ian.