Re: pg_start_backup - backups

От Ian Lea
Тема Re: pg_start_backup - backups
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> First of all, thanks so much for the reply. To be clear, as stated in my
> original post, if a user is interacting with the PostgreSQL database,
> changes to the data folder continue even after the PG_START_BACKUP
> command has been issued. This implies to me that the contents of any
> copy of the data folder may be unreliable. i.e. the copy may not reflect
> the state of the data folder either before the copy started or after the
> copy has finished. It may reflect the state of the data folder in some
> transient form. Assuming this is true, is the copy still usable for
> restoration? If so, how does PostgreSQL get the data folder to a stable
> state? Is it by the use of the WAL files that may be created during the
> backup process and the restore.config file?

The copy is not useful by itself, but is when used in conjunction with
the WAL archives.

It is all explained, much better than I could do it, in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/continuous-archiving.html

There are other backup strategies too.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/backup.html

--
Ian.

От: Ian Lea
Сообщение: Re: pg_start_backup - backups