Re: make install getting slower

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: make install getting slower
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On December 7, 2018 8:04:10 AM PST, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>On 04/12/2018 21:56, Andres Freund wrote:
>> As a comparison, I'd a tree that had the cmake patchset applied
>around
>> (~1.5 yo tree). Using the ninja generator gets a clean build to
>> 0m0.073s, a first install to 0m0.201s and a repeat install to
>0m0.170s.
>
>Yeah, I've been playing with meson+ninja, and those run times are
>amazing.

It's not just the the faster times due to better tools, a non recursive implementation also allows for much cleaner
dependenciesthen we have right now. Which also increases speed...

>I'm not confident whether a high-level build system generator like
>cmake
>or meson would ever give us the flexibility we need.  I'm just thinking
>of the most recent episode where we had to override the timestamp
>handling of ranlib of macOS.  There are many others like it.

I don't know much about meson, but I don't see why cmake can't handle that kind of thing.

>But I think that we realistically could generate ninja files using some
>Perl code not unlike the one that does the catalog .dat to .bki
>transformation.  Just a thought at this point.

That seems not great, because we would lose the ability to generate mscv files from the same source. Or whatever the
eventualreplacement of ninja will be.

Andres

Сообщение: Re: Adding support for a fully qualified column-name in UPDATE ... SET
Сообщение: Re: Adding support for a fully qualified column-name in UPDATE ...SET