Re: make install getting slower

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: make install getting slower
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/12/2018 21:56, Andres Freund wrote:
> As a comparison, I'd a tree that had the cmake patchset applied around
> (~1.5 yo tree). Using the ninja generator gets a clean build to
> 0m0.073s, a first install to 0m0.201s and a repeat install to 0m0.170s.

Yeah, I've been playing with meson+ninja, and those run times are amazing.

I'm not confident whether a high-level build system generator like cmake
or meson would ever give us the flexibility we need.  I'm just thinking
of the most recent episode where we had to override the timestamp
handling of ranlib of macOS.  There are many others like it.

But I think that we realistically could generate ninja files using some
Perl code not unlike the one that does the catalog .dat to .bki
transformation.  Just a thought at this point.