Logging the starting and stopping of PostgreSQL

От Campbell, Lance
Тема Logging the starting and stopping of PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

I have a script that starts PostgreSQL as a service.  It uses the following command to start the database:

$SU -l postgres -c "$PGENGINE/postmaster -p '$PGPORT' -D '$PGDATA' ${PGOPTS} &" >> "$PGLOG" 2>&1 < /dev/null

On my production server I use a slightly different command:

exec ${PGENGINE}/pg_ctl start  -D ${PGDATA}  -l ${PGLOG}

I noticed that the first command sends starting up info about PostgreSQL to the log file specified by $PGLOG; while the second startup command does not send anything to the log file.  What is the reason for this?  I also have the same issue with shutting down.

Thanks,

Lance Campbell

Project Manager/Software Architect

Web Services at Public Affairs