Re: Patroni vs pgpool II

От Inzamam Shafiq
Тема Re: Patroni vs pgpool II
Дата
Список pgsql-general
But, I heard PgPool is still affected by Split brain syndrome.

Regards,

Inzamam Shafiq
Sr. DBA

From: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@sraoss.co.jp>
Sent: Wednesday, April 5, 2023 12:38 PM
To: cyberdemn@gmail.com <cyberdemn@gmail.com>
Cc: inzamam.shafiq@hotmail.com <inzamam.shafiq@hotmail.com>; pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org <pgsql-general@lists.postgresql.org>
Subject: Re: Patroni vs pgpool II

> BUT, even if there is a solution that parses queries to make a decision it
> I would not recommend anyone to use it unless all consequences are
> understood.
> Specifically, not every read-only query could be salefy sent to a replica,
> because they could be lagging behind the primary.
> Only application (developers) could decide whether for a specific query
> they could afford slightly outdated results. Most of the popular
> application frameworks support configuring two connection strings for this
> purpose.

I think Pgpool-II users well understand the effect of replication
lagging because I've never heard complains like "hey, why my query
result is sometimes outdated?"

Moreover Pgpool-II provides many load balancing features depending on
user's needs. For example users can:

- just turn off load balancing
- turn off load balancing only for specific application name
- turn off load balancing only for specific database
- turn off load balancing if current transaction includes write query

Best reagards,
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS LLC