Re: [GENERAL] How to add new Collation language

От Rob Northcott
Тема Re: [GENERAL] How to add new Collation language
Дата
Список pgsql-general

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: 14 September 2017 14:53
To: Rob Northcott <Rob.Northcott@compilator.com>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] How to add new Collation language

Rob Northcott <Rob.Northcott@compilator.com> writes:
> From: rob stone [mailto:floriparob@gmail.com]
>> On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 11:30 +0000, Rob Northcott wrote:
>>> How can I add a collation language to a Postgres server?
>>> Specifically, I want to create a new database with collation of
>>> English_United Kingdom.1252 but the only options are C, Posix and
>>> United States.
>>> This is Postgres 9.6 on Windows server 2012.  The server is Swedish,
>>> and my user login is set to UK.

>> initdb --locale=en_GB.UTF-8 . . . plus other init options as required.

> Thanks for the reply.  When I try that I get the message "invalid locale name"

>>en_GB.UTF-8 is a Unix-style locale name, it won't help you on Windows.
>>You need something like "English_United Kingdom.1252" on Windows.

>>I'm not sure what you mean by "the only options are" ... are you using some GUI that >>only offers those options?  If
so,this is a shortcoming in that GUI.  Postgres itself >>should take whatever ctype/collation settings the underlying
systemaccepts.  You >>could try manually invoking initdb as above, but with a Windows-style locale name.  >>Or if you
wantto make a new database within an existing installation, use CREATE >>DATABASE directly, setting the LC_COLLATE and
LC_CTYPEoptions (and selecting a >>matching ENCODING).

>>            regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom, using initdb to create a new data directory (cluster?) worked, using "English_United..." rather than en_GB
asyou suggested.

I've never had to do that before - always just used the default Postgres installation and selected "English United
Kingdom"during the install.  That didn't seem to work on this server - it insisted on being United States.  Anyway,
learninghow to use the command line is no bad thing.

Thanks for your help.

Rob