Re: [GENERAL] How to add new Collation language

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GENERAL] How to add new Collation language
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Rob Northcott <Rob.Northcott@compilator.com> writes:
> From: rob stone [mailto:floriparob@gmail.com]
>> On Thu, 2017-09-14 at 11:30 +0000, Rob Northcott wrote:
>>> How can I add a collation language to a Postgres server?
>>> Specifically, I want to create a new database with collation of
>>> English_United Kingdom.1252 but the only options are C, Posix and
>>> United States.
>>> This is Postgres 9.6 on Windows server 2012.  The server is Swedish,
>>> and my user login is set to UK.

>> initdb --locale=en_GB.UTF-8 . . . plus other init options as required.

> Thanks for the reply.  When I try that I get the message "invalid locale name"

en_GB.UTF-8 is a Unix-style locale name, it won't help you on Windows.
You need something like "English_United Kingdom.1252" on Windows.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the only options are" ... are you using
some GUI that only offers those options?  If so, this is a shortcoming
in that GUI.  Postgres itself should take whatever ctype/collation
settings the underlying system accepts.  You could try manually invoking
initdb as above, but with a Windows-style locale name.  Or if you want
to make a new database within an existing installation, use CREATE
DATABASE directly, setting the LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE options
(and selecting a matching ENCODING).