Re: 7.3.4 on Linux: UPDATE .. foo=foo+1 degrades massivly over time

От Glen Parker
Тема Re: 7.3.4 on Linux: UPDATE .. foo=foo+1 degrades massivly over time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I hope I understand your question...

All the old tuples that were current before your updates are still in the
heap.  The executer has to do the equivelent of 'where
tuple_visible_to_current_transaction' on every tuple in the heap.  The more
updates you do, the more tuples have to be visited on subsequent update
runs.

This is why vacuum exists, and it's the price we pay for the otherwise
excellent transactional model in PG.

HTH :-)
Glen Parker