Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> The standby name is a GUC in the standby's configuration file:
>
> standby_name='bostonserver'

Fwiw I was hoping it would be possible to set every machine up with an
identical postgresql.conf file. That doesn't preclude this idea since
you could start up your server with a script that sets the GUC on the
command-line and that script could use whatever it wants to look up
its name such as using its hardware info to look it up in a database.
But just something to keep in mind.

In particular I would want to be able to configure everything
identically and then have each node run some kind of program which
determines its name and position in the replication structure. This
implies that each node given its identity and the total view of the
structure can figure out what it should be doing including whether to
be read-only or read-write, who to contact as its master, and whether
to listen from slaves.

If every node needs a configuration file specifying multiple
interdependent variables which are all different from server to server
it'll be too hard to keep them all in sync. I would rather tell every
node, "here's how to push to the archive, here's how to pull, here's
the whole master-slave structure even the parts you don't need to know
about and the redundant entry for yourself -- now here's your name go
figure out whether to push or pull and from where"

--
greg