Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: standby registration (was: is sync rep stalled?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07.10.2010 23:56, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
>> The standby name is a GUC in the standby's configuration file:
>>
>> standby_name='bostonserver'
>>

> Fwiw I was hoping it would be possible to set every machine up with an
> identical postgresql.conf file.

This proposal allows that. At least assuming you have a simple setup of
one master and N standbys, and you're happy with a reply from any
standby, as opposed to all standbys. You just set both standby_name and
synchronous_standby GUCS to 'foo' in all servers, and you're done.

You'll need to point each standby's primary_conninfo setting to the
current master, though, but that's no different from the situation today
with asynchronous replication. Presumably you'll have a virtual IP
address or host name that always points to the current master, also used
by the actual applications connecting to the database.