Re: SHOW TABLES

От Thom Brown
Тема Re: SHOW TABLES
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 15 July 2010 16:52, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Thom Brown wrote:
>>
>> Looks like the last time this was discussed, there wasn't any clear
>> conclusion.  Someone created a patch and it's still on the TODO list:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg01845.php
>>

> This is not at all what Simon proposed. He wants to make it a backend
> command, not a psql command.

My bad.  But I find the following slightly odd:

"The biggest turn off that most people experience when using PostgreSQL
is that psql does not support memorable commands.

I would like to implement the following commands as SQL, allowing them
to be used from any interface."

If it's only a psql problem, why implement it as SQL?  Is it just so
we're not adding keywords specifically to psql?  In that case, it
shouldn't support QUIT.

But I agree with the principal of improving usability.  There's the
issue of schema with SHOW TABLES though.  It would either have to show
tables and their associated schema in separate columns, or have an
extended "SHOW TABLES IN [SCHEMA] my_schema" syntax.

I personally think LIST <object type> makes more sense, although I
guess the point is that SHOW would be familiar to MySQL defectors ;)

Thom