Re: do we need to postpone beta4?

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: do we need to postpone beta4?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

>>> [poorly worded protest]
>
>> Sorry - I apologize for that email.  As has been pointed out to me
>> off-list, that was too strongly worded and not constructive.  Still, I
>> don't think there is much evidence for the proposition that the
>> current delays are caused by having branched early.  I think they're
>> caused by people being out of town.
>
> Well, they're surely both contributing factors.  There's no way to run a
> controlled experiment to determine how much each one is hurting us, so
> opinions about which is worse can never be more than opinions.  I'm
> sticking with mine though, and for weak evidence will point to the
> amount of -hackers traffic about 9.1 CF items versus the amount of
> traffic about how to fix the known bugs.

I guess I'd counter by pointing out that there are half a dozen bugs
and almost 70 patches in the CommitFest.  And, again, it's not as if
bugs are sitting there being ignored for months on end.  To the
contrary, we've been largely ignoring new patches for the past five
months, but we rarely ignore bugs.  When 2 or 3 days go by without a
response to a serious bug report, people start posting messages like
"Hello? Hello? What's going on?" (there are several examples of this
in just the last week, from at least two different contributors).

> Anyway, I'm back from vacation and will start looking at those bugs as
> soon as I've caught up on email.

Thanks.  Let me know if I'm not picking up something you think I
should be looking at.  I've been attempting to stay on top of both bug
reports and the CommitFest in your absence, which has been keeping me
extremely busy, which may account for some portion of the testiness of
my previous response.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company