Re: do we need to postpone beta4?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: do we need to postpone beta4?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Yup, that's what I think. �In fact I think September might be
>>> optimistic. �This is what happens when you fork early and allow
>>> developers to start focusing on new development instead of testing
>>> the release branch.

>> [poorly worded protest]

> Sorry - I apologize for that email.  As has been pointed out to me
> off-list, that was too strongly worded and not constructive.  Still, I
> don't think there is much evidence for the proposition that the
> current delays are caused by having branched early.  I think they're
> caused by people being out of town.

Well, they're surely both contributing factors.  There's no way to run a
controlled experiment to determine how much each one is hurting us, so
opinions about which is worse can never be more than opinions.  I'm
sticking with mine though, and for weak evidence will point to the
amount of -hackers traffic about 9.1 CF items versus the amount of
traffic about how to fix the known bugs.

Anyway, I'm back from vacation and will start looking at those bugs as
soon as I've caught up on email.