Re: 9.1 release notes

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: 9.1 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 12:53 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> In terms of future releases, I think we'd probably need to work a bit
>> harder on the alpha release notes if we want to avoid the full release
>> note generation process.  That may be a good thing for us to consider
>> in the future, but at least for this release I'd say we weren't quite
>> there.
>
> To my mind, one of the core ideas about the alpha releases was to be
> able to pop them out with minimal overhead.  It's *already* the case
> that generating release notes is the most expensive part of the alpha
> release process --- in fact, I'd venture that it's 90% or more of the
> effort, just to produce the kind of notes we've produced for the past
> alphas.  I can't see that we're going to put significantly more effort
> than that into them.

I make no judgement on that one way or the other; you may well be
right.  I'm merely saying that IF we want to not need to redo the
process at the end, THEN we have to put more effort in earlier.
Whether that will ever happen or whether it would be good I don't care
to pontificate on just now.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company