Re: Exposing an installation's default value of unix_socket_directory

От Cédric Villemain
Тема Re: Exposing an installation's default value of unix_socket_directory
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/10/21 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> I just noticed that there doesn't seem to be any good way of finding
> out what a postmaster's default value of unix_socket_directory is.
> If you try to SHOW it you just get an empty string.  We could probably
> fix things so that SHOW exposes the actual setting, but (1) there might
> be security arguments against that, and (2) if your problem is that you
> would like to find out the value so's you can connect to said
> postmaster, SHOW isn't going to help you.
>
> One possible response would be to add an item to what pg_config knows
> about, eg "pg_config --socketdir".  This doesn't answer every possible
> use-case either, but it would be helpful for some scenarios.
>
> Thoughts?

I agree this is interesting information to get, but wonder how
pg_config can know that and it looks to me that this information as
nothing to do in pg_config....

pg_config is all about installation, socket_dir is a postgresql.conf setting.

I'd prefer a 'pg_ctl status' output.