Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo
Дата
Re: moving development branch activity to new git repo  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 20:01, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Elvis Pranskevichus <el@prans.net> wrote:
>
>> Here's a quick and easy way to move dev history to a new repo:
>>
>> $ cd postgresql.old
>> $ git checkout yourbranch
>>
>> # stream your commits into a "patch mailbox"
>> $ git format-patch --stdout master..HEAD > patches.mbox
>>
>> # switch to the new repo
>> $ cd ../postgresql
>>
>> # create a branch if not already
>> $ git checkout -b yourbranch
>>
>> # apply the "patch mailbox"
>> $ git am ../postgresql.old/patches.mbox
>>
>> That should do the trick.  Your dev history will be kept.
>
> Thanks for the recipe.  (And thanks to all others who responded.)
>
> That still leaves me wondering how I get that out to my public git
> repo without someone resetting it on the server.  Or do I have the
> ability to clean out the old stuff at:
>
> ssh://git@git.postgresql.org/users/kgrittn/postgres.git
>
> so that I can push the result of the above to it cleanly?

a git push *should* work, but we've seen issues with that.

The cleanest is probably if I wipe the repo on git.postgresql.org for
you, and you then re-push from scratch. Does thta work for you?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/