Advice on HA/LB setup for small installation

От Jamie Tufnell
Тема Advice on HA/LB setup for small installation
Дата
Re: Advice on HA/LB setup for small installation  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

We have a webapp backed by a single PostgreSQL server and I'd like to
add a second primarily for availability.  I figure if we can load
balance reads too then why not.

Having read over the HA docs/matrix, I'm considering using 9.0's hot
standby with pgpool-II to automatically balance reads without having
to adjust our webapp to split the reads/writes.

Firstly, is this a sound setup and does anyone using it have any
comments fore/against, gotchas?

Secondly, is there a companion tool to achieve this with pgbouncer?
Note I have nothing against pgpool, just curious as we're already
using pgbouncer in production.

Thanks!