Re: On Scalability

От Vincenzo Romano
Тема Re: On Scalability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/10/7 Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>:
> * Vincenzo Romano (vincenzo.romano@notorand.it) wrote:
>> I would expect a parser to ... ehm ... parse the CHECK constraint
>> expression at "CREATE TABLE " time and
>> extract all the needed "high quality metadata", like the list of
>> columns involved and the type of
>> checks (range, value list, etc.).
>
> Check constraints can be added after the table is created.  Inheiritance
> can be added/changed independently of check constraints.  Hacking all of
> the inheiritance, check constraint creation, and any other possibly
> involved code paths to try to figure out if this particular table, check
> constraint, inheiritance relationship, etc, is part of a partitioning
> setup isn't exactly trivial, or the right approach.
>
>        Thanks,
>
>                Stephen

I think none will say things are trivial.
So, what'd be the right approach in your vision?
I mean, if you think about partitioning a-la Oracle, then you'll have to
parse those expressions anyway.

--
Vincenzo Romano at NotOrAnd Information Technologies
Software Hardware Networking Training Support Security