SynchRep; wait-forever and shutdown

От Fujii Masao
Тема SynchRep; wait-forever and shutdown
Дата
Re: SynchRep; wait-forever and shutdown  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

In previous discussion, some people wanted the "wait-forever" option which
blocks all the transactions on the master until sync'd standby has appeared,
in order to reduce the risk of data loss in synchronous replication.

What I'm not clear is; How does smart or fast shudown advance while all the
transactions are being blocked?

1. Shutdown should wait for all the transactions to end by appearance of    sync'd standby?    * Problem is that
shutdownwould take very long.

2. Shutdown should commit all the blocking transactions?    * Problem is that a client thinks that those transactions
havesuccessfully       been committed even though they have not been replicated to the       standby.

3. Shutdown should abort all the blocking transactions?    * Problem is that a client thinks that those transactions
havebeen aborted       even though those WAL records have been written on the master. But       this is very common
problemfor DBMS, so we don't need to worry about       this in the context of replication.

ISTM smart and fast shutdown fits in with #1 and #3, respectively. Thought?

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center