Re: SynchRep; wait-forever and shutdown

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: SynchRep; wait-forever and shutdown
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 11:54 PM, Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
> In previous discussion, some people wanted the "wait-forever" option which
> blocks all the transactions on the master until sync'd standby has appeared,
> in order to reduce the risk of data loss in synchronous replication.
>
> What I'm not clear is; How does smart or fast shudown advance while all the
> transactions are being blocked?
>
> 1. Shutdown should wait for all the transactions to end by appearance of
>     sync'd standby?
>     * Problem is that shutdown would take very long.
>
> 2. Shutdown should commit all the blocking transactions?
>     * Problem is that a client thinks that those transactions have successfully
>        been committed even though they have not been replicated to the
>        standby.
>
> 3. Shutdown should abort all the blocking transactions?
>     * Problem is that a client thinks that those transactions have been aborted
>        even though those WAL records have been written on the master. But
>        this is very common problem for DBMS, so we don't need to worry about
>        this in the context of replication.
>
> ISTM smart and fast shutdown fits in with #1 and #3, respectively. Thought?

I might be missing something, but I don't see why this case requires
any special handling.  As far as I can see, #2 and #3 are nonsense:
the client isn't waiting on the commit per se, but rather the
acknowledgment of the commit.  In a smart shutdown, we wait for all
clients to disconnect.  If they never disconnect, we never shut down.
It's a lame behavior and we might want to change it some day - at
least by adding a timeout - but I don't see any reason to change it
because of synchronous replication per se.  In a fast shutdown, we
boot all clients off immediately.  If they were waiting for an
acknowledgment, they don't get it.  The application has to handle this
case, just as it does today if it sends a COMMIT command and the
connection is disconnected before it receives a response.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company