Re: Multi-language glossary of PostgreSQL terms.

От Dmitriy Igrishin
Тема Re: Multi-language glossary of PostgreSQL terms.
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hey Pavel, Euler

Thanks for you answers!

2011/3/14 Euler Taveira de Oliveira <euler@timbira.com>
Em 13-03-2011 15:44, Dmitriy Igrishin escreveu:
First of all, we want to create glossary to be used by translators.
However we consider that it would be nice to generalize this idea
and create a multi-language glossary of PostgreSQL terms on
wiki.postgresql.org <http://wiki.postgresql.org>.

Nice. We already have a glossary [1] for brazilian portuguese. It is used to PostgreSQL related translations (including gettext messages and documentation).

I'm not sure if multi-language glossary is a way to go. There are terms/expressions that have more than one translation depending on context. But in some languages, they have just one translation. So the brazilian portuguese glossary would be different from russian and japanese glossary.
There is nothing impossible. :-)
I'm sure it's possible to maintain multi-language glossary of
common phrases which are treated unequivocally.
Furthermore, nothing prevents to create specialized (or extended)
glossary for some language (e.g. for mentioned cases when
one term's translation depends on context). So, we can create
and maintain the hierarchy of glossaries with a common root
and its specializations !

[1] http://www.timbira.com/pg/vp.txt

--
 Euler Taveira de Oliveira