Re: Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)

От Tom Wilcox
Тема Re: Out of Memory and Configuration Problems (Big Computer)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Stephen,

The impression I was getting from Magnus Hagander's blog was that a 32-bit version of Postgres could make use of >4Gb RAM when running on 64-bit Windows due to the way PG passes on the responsibility for caching onto the OS.. Is this definitely not the case then?

Here's where Im getting this from:
http://blog.hagander.net/archives/73-PostgreSQL-vs-64-bit-windows.html

Thanks,
Tom

On 2 June 2010 15:04, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Tom Wilcox (hungrytom@googlemail.com) wrote:
> My question now becomes.. Since it works now, do those memory usage stats
> from resource monitor show that postgres is using all the available memory
> (am I reading it wrong)? Is there a way to allocate 60GB of memory to the
> postgres process so that it can do all sorting, etc directly in RAM? Is
> there something I need to tell 64-bit Windows to get it to allocate more
> than 4GB of memory to a 32-bit postgres?

uhh, a 32-bit program (Postgres, or any other) can't use more than 4G of
RAM.  That would be the crux of the problem here.  Either get a 64bit
build of PG for Windows (I'm not sure what the status of that is at the
moment..), or get off Windows and on to a 64bit Linux with a 64bit PG.

       Thanks,

               Stephen