Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Missing uuid_generate_v1()
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 05:09, Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 7:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Mike Christensen <mike@kitchenpc.com> writes:
>>
>>> So now what you're saying is if it's not broke, fix it till it is :)
>>
>> Well, it's hard to argue with that position ;-).  But I'll try anyway:
>> the platform-provided version of the library will be updated for bug
>> fixes, compatibility rebuilds, etc.  Your private copy won't be, unless
>> you remember to do it.  Eventually that's gonna bite ya.
>>
>> Of course the best fix would be for EDB to ship a build of Postgres
>> that actually follows the platform-standard naming convention for this
>> library.  I'm still wondering why they're linking to libuuid.so.
>> Dave?
>>
>>                        regards, tom lane
>>

> Agreed.  However, if you go to
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux then it points you right to
> EnterpriseDB to download a bin installer.  So your choices are:

The very first paragraph says we recommend you use apt packages.

I wanted to move the packages higher up in the actual list, but was
voted down ;)

> 1) Use apt-get: This won't give you 9.0 yet (I think 10.04 only has 8.4)

It is. You need to enable the PPA at
https://launchpad.net/~pitti/+archive/postgresql, per
http://www.piware.de/2010/09/postgresql-9-0-final-released/.

We should probably add a link to that PPA from the donwload page.
Martin - any reason *not* to do that?

> 2) Build it yourself (I'm not enough of a hacker to do this, probably
> the case with most "novice" users)

Yeah, that's definitely not recommended.

> 3) One click installer maintained by EDB.
> 4) Some other repository out there?  Dunno if anyone maintains one.
>
> I agree, EDB needs to make this "just work" on the latest Ubuntu.

Yes, in this case it looks like a bug in the EDB installer that should be fixed.

But even when that is fixed, the recommendation is still to use the
APT packages since you get all the package management integration etc.

BTW - Dave, I notice the edb page says only ubuntu 8.04 and up, fedora
10 and up, etc  are supported by the installers from 9.0 and newer -
the download page on pg.org should probably be updated with that
information.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/