Re: What Linux edition we should chose?

От Nilesh Govindarajan
Тема Re: What Linux edition we should chose?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 4:40 AM, Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@simkin.ca> wrote:
> On Monday 31 May 2010, Devrim Gündüz <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, 2010-05-31 at 21:14 +0530, Nilesh Govindarajan wrote:
>> > if you install some libraries like python clients or some
>> > software depending on PgSql from the repositories in RPM/DPKG based
>> > OS, you will have a tough time with the dependency stuff.
>>
>> Really?
>>

> Depends. If you build a compat- RPM to supply the original system-provided
> client libpq.so it will usually satisfy their package requirements. If you
> don't, then you might find yourself needing to rebuild other packages to
> coexist with upgraded PostgreSQL versions. Neither option is terribly
> difficult to accommodate.
>
> --
> "No animals were harmed in the recording of this episode. We tried but that
> damn monkey was just too fast."
>
> --

@Devrim: You got the reason from @Alan.
Self compilation has the advantage of custom gcc flags like -O3 -march
-msse, etc. which can improve performance.
Building RPMs is not a task that everyone can do. It requires
extensive reading about rpmbuild and writing the specfile.
So if you install directly from source without RPM, it won't satisfy
the libpq.so dependency, so you cannot install applications using yum.
This is not the case with Arch PKGBUILD, because the PKGBUILD is just
a bash script.

--
Nilesh Govindarajan
Facebook: nilesh.gr