Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)
Дата
Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 6:41 AM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If child inherits column A from parent1 and parent2, and it is then
>> renamed to B in parent2, what should the name be in the child after
>> the rename is completed?
>
> The column should be renamed to B in parent2, child and parent1.

Uh, really?  Wow.  You want to follow the inheritance hierarchy in
both directions, both down and up?  That seems like it could be
confusing.

>> For bonus points, how should pg_dump handle this to make sure the
>> state after a dump and reload matches the state before the dump and
>> reload?
>
> If the change happens in a single transaction there should be no problems
> here, as opposed to e.g. have the user issue two renames. Did I get the
> bonus points? :-)

Sure, though I'm not sure I like the basic idea.  :-)

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Сообщение: Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)
Сообщение: Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)