Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)

От Yeb Havinga
Тема Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 3:48 AM, Yeb Havinga <yebhavinga@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I just read that thread. In the beginning there is a short discussion what
>> the non-astonishing behaviour of the RENAME in the case of multiple origin
>> inheritance should be, which is preventing renames or any property change in
>> that case. I think we should explore the possibilty of allowing the RENAME
>> more.
>>

> If child inherits column A from parent1 and parent2, and it is then
> renamed to B in parent2, what should the name be in the child after
> the rename is completed?

The column should be renamed to B in parent2, child and parent1.
> For bonus points, how should pg_dump handle this to make sure the
> state after a dump and reload matches the state before the dump and
> reload?

If the change happens in a single transaction there should be no
problems here, as opposed to e.g. have the user issue two renames. Did I
get the bonus points? :-)

regards,
Yeb Havinga

От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: tracking inherited columns (was: patch for check constraints using multiple inheritance)