Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki

От Hitoshi Harada
Тема Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki
Дата
Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
2010/8/17 Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com> wrote:
>> We (Marko, David Fetter and I) discussed on IRC about design of
>> writeable CTEs. It does and will contain not only syntax but also
>> miscellaneous specifications, general rules and restrictions. I hope
>> this will help the patch reviews and stop dangerous design at the
>> early stage. If you find something wrong, or have request, please
>> notify.
>>
>> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WriteableCTEs
>>
>> We will keep to add details. Any comments are welcome.
>
> There are really two separate features here, and it might be worth
> giving them separate names and separate designs (and separate
> patches).  Allowing the main query to be an insert, update, or delete
> seems easier than allowing the toplevel CTEs to contain those
> constructs, although I might be wrong about that.
>
> Under features, what is DCL?  There has been previous talk of allowing
> WITH (COPY ...) and I am personally of the opinion that it would be
> nice to be able to do WITH (EXPLAIN ...).  DDL seems like a poor idea.

So, there are three? One for allowing the main query to be an insert,
update, or delete, one for the main subject of writeable CTE with
insert, update, delete and one for allowing COPY to return rows. I am
attracted by such COPY functionality.

And the first part seems easier to be committed separately. Is it
possible to get it in by only adding syntax and little parser/planner
modification, or more executor code?

> P.S. Call me a prude, but your choice of shorthand for
> insert-update-delete may not be the best.

I think so, too :(. But there's no good expression in my mind. Suggestions?

Regards,

--
Hitoshi Harada