Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki
Дата
Re: Writeable CTEs Desgin Doc on Wiki  (Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 7:44 AM, Hitoshi Harada <umi.tanuki@gmail.com> wrote:
> We (Marko, David Fetter and I) discussed on IRC about design of
> writeable CTEs. It does and will contain not only syntax but also
> miscellaneous specifications, general rules and restrictions. I hope
> this will help the patch reviews and stop dangerous design at the
> early stage. If you find something wrong, or have request, please
> notify.
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/WriteableCTEs
>
> We will keep to add details. Any comments are welcome.

There are really two separate features here, and it might be worth
giving them separate names and separate designs (and separate
patches).  Allowing the main query to be an insert, update, or delete
seems easier than allowing the toplevel CTEs to contain those
constructs, although I might be wrong about that.

Under features, what is DCL?  There has been previous talk of allowing
WITH (COPY ...) and I am personally of the opinion that it would be
nice to be able to do WITH (EXPLAIN ...).  DDL seems like a poor idea.

P.S. Call me a prude, but your choice of shorthand for
insert-update-delete may not be the best.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company