Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be

От Fujii Masao
Тема Re: recovery getting interrupted is not so unusual as it used to be
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 12:10 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, it seems this is my night to rediscover the wisdom of your
> previous proposals.  I think that state would only be appropriate when
> we shutdown after reaching consistency, not any shutdown during
> recovery.  Do you agree?

No. When shutdown happens before reaching consistency, the database might
be inconsistent, but which doesn't mean that some data might be corrupted.
We can get consistent (not corrupted) database by applying the WAL records
to inconsistent one.

> HINT:  If this has occurred more than once some data might be
> corrupted and you might need to choose an earlier recovery target.

I think that the hint message indicates the data corruption which prevents
recovery from completing, rather than the inconsistency of the database.

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center