Re: Postgres service won't start, doesn't log any errors

От Joe Carr
Тема Re: Postgres service won't start, doesn't log any errors
Дата
Re: Postgres service won't start, doesn't log any errors  (Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Thomas,
Thanks for your reply. pg_ctrl has given me some more information, but I'm not quite there yet.

I have verified that the postgres user has "full control" access to the data directory.

When I take the commandline from the service definition and execute it, I get the following:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin>"C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin/pg_ctl.exe" runservice -N "postgresql-9.0" -D "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.0/data" -w

pg_ctl: could not start service "postgresql-9.0": error code 1063

from the forum post (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-05/msg00281.php), the runservice command alledgedly can only be executed from the service control manager. So, if I replace "runservice" with "start", the server starts without issue :

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.0\bin>"C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.0/bin/pg_ctl.exe" start -N "postgresql-9.0" -D "C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/9.0/data" -w
waiting for server to start.... done
server started

and this will work whether I'm logged in as "postgres" or under my user account. Additionally, the \data\pg_log directory is being filled with logging information, indicating (I believe), that permissions are set correctly.

But, the service will not start from the service control manager, or pgAdmin3 (which I imagine attempts to start the service in the same manner).

So, I think it's very close at this point. Thanks again beforehand!