Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct

От Robert Haas
Тема Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Дата
Ответ на Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  ("Kevin Grittner" <Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov>)
Ответы Re: pg_start_backup and pg_stop_backup Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 13:41 -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>>> Surely it would confuse people to see they have fewer than
>>> min_wal_segments WAL segments.
>>
>> That does sound like a reasonable argument, though it also applies
>> to wal_keep_segments, so isn't an argument either way. The user
>> will be equally confused to see fewer WAL files than they have
>> asked to "keep".
>
> The definitions of "keep" in my dictionary include "to restrain from
> removal" and "to retain in one's possession".  It defines "minimum"
> as "the least quantity assignable, admissible, or possible".

It's really both of those things, so we could call it
wal_min_keep_segments, but I think an even better name would be
bikeshed_segments.

...Robert